Tuesday 23 July 2013

Not Alone Series: Friends with Guys

"Faithful friends are beyond price; no amount can balance their worth." Sirach (Ecclesiasticus) 6:15. When I first saw the topic "Is it possible to be just friends with a guy" my answer was automatically yes, however as I thought about how I wanted to write this (I couldn't just write "yes the end") I really started to think about this question.




According to the dictionary a friend is a person whom one knows, likes, and trusts or person whom one knows; an acquaintance, a person with whom one is allied in a struggle or cause; a comrade. Another has the definition as a person whom one knows and with whom one has a bond of mutual affection, typically exclusive of sexual or family relations. (kind of disagree with that last part since my best friend as a child was my cousin, he got me into and of of trouble and we had a bond).

"Whoever fears the Lord makes true friends, for as a person is, so is his friend too." Sirach 6:17.

If a guy and a girl are or even just one is awkward around each in both group and one on one interactions because of a current or past crush they cannot be friends. If they are just awkward in the one on one but are fine in group interactions then they can be friends. I am friends with a few girsl that I only interact with in a group situations, they are no less my friends.

If a guy or a girl are only "friends" with the hope that it can maybe go further then they are not friends. One person will be acting as a friend while the other is using the relationship for a hopeful gain.

If a guy and a girl only meet up every once in a while when neither are in a relationship for "other" reasons they are not. Friends do not have those kinds of benefits.

A loyal friend is a powerful defence: whoever finds one has indeed found a treasure. Sir 6:14. I have that in a guy, he's a guy I can count on to pray for me and give me good advice.

A loyal friend is the elixir of life, and those who fear the Lord will find one. Sir 6:16. I also have this in a few guys, they have me laughing all the time. They bring out the competitive side in me and take me back to my childhood.

A friendship with a guy will probably not look or feel like a friendship with another girl but then again a friendship with one girl will not look like the friendship of another girl.

Check out Jen to see what everyone else had to say.


No comments:

Post a Comment